Monday, March 17, 2014

Eat the Rainbow: Fruit Salad


Happy St. Patrick's Day! Unfortunately, because this festive holiday falls on a Monday this year, I'll be spending my day at work and school (don't feel too badly - I'm going to celebrate over the weekend). However, some celebration is necessary, so I prepared some festive food to celebrate.


I'm sure you heard the myth growing up: there's a pot of gold or treasure at the end of a rainbow guarded by a leprechaun. Given that the weather is beginning to warm up and a variety of fruit is starting to become available, I thought what if the rainbow is the treasure? So for my St. Patrick's Day meal, I decided to eat the rainbow.



If you look around, you'll realize that nature provides us with fruits and vegetables is every color you could imagine. Eating a "rainbow" helps give your body the nutrients it needs in addition to fiber, vitamins and minerals. Also, each color naturally contains a variety of healthful vitamins and minerals - here are a few:
  • Reds: vitamin C and lycopene
  • Blues & Purples: vitamin C and antioxidants
  • Oranges & Yellows: carotenoids, vitamins A and C, potassium
  • Greens: vitamin K, potassium

So, reward your body and celebrate St. Patrick's day with a rainbow!


Enjoy and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment