Sunday, September 22, 2013

Caponata of Eggplant


Like I said in previous posts, eggplant is not one of my favorite vegetables. Each time I get an eggplant, I try to prepare it in a different way...and I think this is my favorite way to eat eggplant!!! This is an appetizer/side dish to be eaten with crackers or pita chips. Thanks to Helanie and Maury L for the recipe!!

Caponata of Eggplant

Yield: 8 servings | Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
  • 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (you'll want a total of 4 cups)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
  • 2/3 cup tomato sauce (basic sauce is the best)
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: 1 Tbsp. hot chili flakes (I didn't add this because I prefer for it to be non-spicy!)

Directions:
  1. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil (enough to coat pan). Saute onions, garlic, pine nuts and chili flakes for 4-5 minutes until onions are softened
  2. Add eggplant, sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Cook an additional 5 minutes
  3. Add thyme, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes
  4. Cool to room temperature and serve with crackers/pita chips/crostini

And here is a picture of the finished caponata:


Enjoy and thanks for reading!

1 comment: