Thursday, June 20, 2013

An Introduction

<<Eating with the Season is beginning as a blog dedicated to the produce I receive from my CSA and the meals I create with the produce>>

 





First, let me answer the question many of you are asking right now: What is a CSA?


CSA, or Community Supported Agriculture, is a way in which consumers buy seasonal foods from local farms.

At this point, the operations sounds just like a farm market. The difference between a CSA and a farm market is that the consumer pledges to support the farm by purchasing a “share” before the start of the season. In return, the consumer receives an assortment of local, seasonal vegetables and fruit each week throughout the farming season.

Some CSAs supply the consumer with a pre-arranged box of vegetables and fruit, while others allow the consumer to “mix and match” their produce. Another variation is the length of time during which the consumer receives produce and/or the amount of produce received each time. CSA’s can be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly and can range in size.

My CSA is through Grow Youngstown. I receive a pre-arranged assortment of produce each week for 18-weeks. 


Another question that may be coming up: Why should I participate in a CSA?


CSAs offer numerous advantages, both to the consumer and the farmer. Here are a few advantages:

  • VERY fresh food – the food travels from a local farm to you
  • Exposure to new produce – the inspiration for this blog!
  • Fair pricing – consumers pay equal or even less for the produce than they would at a grocery store
  • Farmers can plan their growing season more effectively – leading to less waste and the eventually expansion of production
  • It’s sustainable – it’s local!

If I haven’t convinced you to join a CSA yet, maybe this blog will. I plan to post updates weekly with the contents of my “box”, as well as throughout the week with the meals I create!

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment