Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Syrup


It's October!! Every year, for the month of October, I celebrate fall by indulging in "31 Days of Pumpkin." This basically entails me eating pumpkin every day for 31 days...or longer because I love pumpkin. Caveat: I won't be posting a different recipe every day for 31 days because I usually end up with leftovers and can't single-handedly consume 12 pumpkin muffins and a batch of pumpkin soup (yes, those are things I'll be posting). But stay tuned for a number of tasty pumpkin recipes to follow!!

To start the celebration of pumpkin off right, I made pumpkin spice syrup - the deliciousness that's added to your coffee to create pumpkin spice lattes! While I don't like coffee, I do like using this to create my favorite drink of the season, pumpkin chai tea (adapted from this recipe).

Pumpkin Spice Syrup

(Yields about 12 servings - 2 Tbsp. per serving)

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 cinnamon sticks (or 2 tsp. ground cinnamon)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree

Directions:
  1. Combine water and sugar in a small pot and heat over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until all the sugar has dissolved
  2. Add spices, pumpkin puree and cinnamon sticks, stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, making sure you do not let mixture boil
  3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes
  4. Strain the syrup through a mesh strainer and store in a bottle or jar. Keep refrigerated

Before adding the syrup to your coffee/tea/beverage, stir the syrup in case the spices settle to the bottom of the jar. Add 2 Tbsp. of the syrup to an 8 oz. beverage of your choice and enjoy!


Enjoy and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment