Monday, February 24, 2014

Chicken "Pot" Pie


When I moved just over a year ago, I went from a one-story apartment with a small kitchen to a two-story home with a beautiful, spacious kitchen (and, just as exciting, a backyard and a driveway!). In my apartment, my roommate and I stored kitchen supplies everywhere. We filled up all the cabinets in our little kitchen pretty quickly, then moved on to some shelves in the living area.

After that proved to still be an insufficient amount of space, we repurposed the linen closet to a pantry/kitchen storage closet. And the things that we used less frequently (i.e. cake forms, serving platters, etc.) we kept in our storage unit in the basement of the building.


So once I moved and saw the plethora of cabinets in my much large kitchen, I expected everything to fit with room to spare. I know, as I write this I know it sounds ridiculous, who was I kidding? It's like my kitchen supplies multiplied in the move and I soon realized that everything again wouldn't fit and we now have shelves in the basement holding excess kitchen supplies.

However, don't take any of this as a complaint. I loved my apartment and my lack of space, it made me appreciate space much more and prevented me from having anything but the essentials (mostly). And I adore my house, I have to much room to move (and dance) it my kitchen. And while I still can't fit everything, I can still fit much more than before (plus I know I could fill an entire house with kitchen supplies).


The point of all this is I just don't have the space (or the money) to buy every kitchen gadget out there. I would if I could, but I can't. So I have to do things the "old fashioned way" or be inventive with the gadgets I have. For example, I make dough with a dough hook attachment on my mixer and then kneaded it by hand because I don't (yet) have a bread machine.

And I only have 1 size ramekin, because who has the space for more? While these ramekins are perfect for molten chocolate cakes, they're not large enough to make individual chicken pot pies. What's a girl to do? Instead of cooking the filling, pouring it into a ramekin (or pie crust) then adding the top crust, I decided to "deconstruct" the chicken pot pie and do it a little differently. I cooked the chicken filling in a crock pot then served the meal with a buttermilk biscuit (adapted from this recipe). Not only is this healthier, it also is easier because it's mostly hands-offs!


Chicken "Pot" Pie

Yield: 4 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 8 hours

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 cup carrots, 1/2-inch slices
  • 1 cup celery, 1/2-inch slices
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. thyme
  • 16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 buttermilk biscuits (recipe below)

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, mix Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. 
  2. Place mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, water and bay leaf into a slow cooker. Sprinkle with flour and thyme. Top with chicken. Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 on low. 
  3. 10-minutes before serving, add the peas, milk and salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Cook for another 10 minutes.
  4. To serve, place chicken mixture in a bowl and top with a buttermilk biscuit. 


Buttermilk Biscuit

Yield: 6 biscuits | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup cold buttermilk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like crumbs (move quickly, you don't want to butter to melt!)
  3. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the cold buttermilk. Stir the mixture just until the dough comes together - it will be very sticky.
  4. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and dust the top with flour. Spread the dough out (you don't need to use a rolling pin, just roughly spread it out) and fold it in half. The spread the dough out a again and fold in half again. Do this 5-6 times to create the "layers" of the biscuit. Finally, spread the dough to be about 1-inch think and cut biscuits with a 2-inch round cutter. 
  5. Place biscuits on a baking sheet and bake until biscuits tall and lightly golden, about 15-20 minutes. 



Nutritional information per serving (1/4 chicken "pot" pie mixture - about 1.5 cups, 1 biscuit):
Calories: 460
Total fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 42 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 41 grams
Weight Watchers points: 11


Enjoy and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment