Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Syrian Sleek


Sleek is a tasty, protein and nutrient packed vegan dish! From what I've read, it's a traditional dish in Syria. Sleek is easy to make and only contains 6 inexpensive ingredients. The hardest part about this dish is letting the dry black eyed peas cook for an hour. And if you're tight for time and can't wait an hour for your beans to cook, you can always substitute canned black eyed peas (just be sure to find low sodium ones).


Basically, this dish is easy to make and has great flavor. What are you waiting for? In my opinion, the best part of this dish are the caramelized onion. Caramelizing onions is a process you can't rush. You need to slowly cook the onions on a medium-low heat. This slow cooking causes the sugars in the onions' layers to caramelize steadily (not burn) and becoming golden, delicious and oh-so sweet!


However, I have to admit, cutting onions is a rough process for me. I know most people tear up when cutting onions, but my reaction is so out of control. Tears literally drop out of my eyes and I look as if I'm full-on sobbing. When cutting a large amount of onions (i.e. more than one small onion), I have to stop frequently for fear that I'll cut off a finger because I can't see. But I love onions, especially caramelized onions, so I feel like it is all worth the effort (and tears).


Also, I should warn, this recipe makes a lot of sleek. But good news, the kale/black eyed pea/Bulgar mixture freezes really well (i.e. sleek sans caramelized onions). So make this whole recipe and freeze it in airtight containers for future healthy meals!!


Syrian Sleek

Yields: 6 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dried black eyed peas
  • 1 pound fresh kale, trimmed from the rib and torn into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 cup dried Bulgar wheat
  • 1- 1 1/2 pounds onion, sliced
  • 4-6 Tbsp. olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Fill a large pot with water. Add the black eyed peas and bring to a boil. Cook beans about 1 hour, or until peas are tender.
  2. Meanwhile, caramelize the onions. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a small amount of olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan). Add the onion slices and stir to coat them with oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown (do not allow the onion to burn). Set aside.
  3. When peas are tender, add kale and Bulgar wheat and cook for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove pot from the heat and drain off any remaining water. Toss mixture with olive oil, salt and pepper, then top with caramelized onions and serve.


Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 390
Total fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 63 grams
Fiber: 19 grams
Protein: 15 grams
Weight Watchers points: 10


Enjoy and thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. 1. I LOVE kale.
    2. I LOVE caramelized onions.
    3. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleek has become a loved dish in my house, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up eating Sleek my Syrian grandmother made. Love it still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instead of Kale, she used curly endive.

    ReplyDelete