Thursday, April 24, 2014

Almond Honey Mustard Dressing


My semester is winding down and my summer semester of classes is quickly approaching. And when I say "winding down" I really mean becoming-completely-crazy-and-I-have-no-time. All I want to do is eat apples, cheese and chocolate - basically all comfort foods all the time.


As I write this, I realize that comfort food usually entails unhealthy foods. Is it weird that apples are a comfort food for me? What are you top comfort foods? Are they all unhealthy? Either way, another one of my comfort-food guilty pleasures is honey mustard sauce/dressing/deliciousness.

Okay, you got me, honey mustard isn't really a "food." BUT it is something that can be added to most foods. And there in-lies my problem - I want to add honey mustard to everything right now: sandwiches, chicken, even salads. I typically avoid honey mustard salad dressing at restaurants because it's creamy and packed with sugar.


But if I make my own honey mustard dressing it will be healthier and then I don't have to feel (as) guilty about eating it on everything! This recipes (adapted from this) is great because, well, no sugar is added. Light agave, almond butter and orange juice give this dressing all of its sweetness as well as a nice smooth texture.

Also, this take literally minutes to create, so you no longer have an excuse for eating store-bought honey mustard dressing. You simple add all the ingredients into a jar, put on the lid and shake it...like a Polaroid picture (is anyone else now singing that song?). That easy. And it makes everything better - even these Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Quinoa Cakes on a salad. Yum.



Almond Honey Mustard Dressing

Yield: 3 servings | Prep time: 2 minutes | Total time: 3 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbsp. almond butter
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 2 Tbsp. stoneground mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. light agave nectar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic

Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients into a mason jar (or another jar with a tightly fitted lid). Securely attach the lid and shake for about 1 minute.

Nutritional information per serving (about 1/4 cup):
Calories: 175
Total fat: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Protein: 4 grams
Weight Watchers points: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment