Monday, April 7, 2014

Vegetarian Chili


I like to pretend that I'm not a picky eater and that I enjoy all foods. Truth be told, while I'm not picky, there are some foods that I dislike. Growing up, I basically didn't like eating at all. I thought eat was something you just had to do so you could keep moving and dancing and playing. {I know, it's crazy, I don't know what I was thinking}

When I was about 16, I started realizing that food wasn't just something that your body converts into energy. Food was amazing and rich and complex, and I fell in love. I began everything I could get my hands on. I also developed a new rule for myself for anything that I "didn't like": I had to try at least 2 more times, prepared in different ways, before I drew any conclusions.

For example, I didn't like mushrooms as a kid. The idea of eating a fungus was too much for me. But 4th of July, 2010, my parents grilled giant portobello caps and, please believe me when I tell you this, it was one of the greatest things I've eaten in my life. It was so delicious and I wondered: why had I been missing out my whole life?! Today, mushrooms are one of my favorite things to eat.

And eggplant. I still don't love eggplant. It's a texture thing - the inside get soft and the skin stays taught and waxy. So I tried egg plant again: eggplant lasagna - not bad. Then again: eggplant parmesan - again, not bad. Then a third time: caponata of eggplant - THE BEST THING EVER.

Before you go thinking that I'm special...or strange, you should know there are certain foods I still don't like. For example, I don't like ground meat. I will occasionally dabble with ground turkey, but never ground beef. I also dislike tomato sauce. Fresh tomatoes, bruschetta, ketchup - all good in my book. But warm, oozy tomato sauce - ick. Oh and I can't eat spicy things. Like not even too much ground black pepper. Negative 18 on the spiciness scale. Now you know my Achilles heels.


So what does this mean - I was a strange kid. Instead of eating pizza or hamburgers, I had salads or fresh sandwiches. In fact, cooked spinach was one of my favorite things to eat as a kid. Today, I'll eat pizza with sauce but I much prefer white pizzas. And my least favorite foods of all time? Meat loaf (ground beef + tomato sauce) and chili (ground beef + tomato sauce + spice). But vegetarian chili is an entirely different story.

First of all, instead of ground beef, the soup's "meat" is a variety of delicious vegetables, black beans and brown rice. Second, the broth is about half tomato sauce and half vegetable broth giving it a good balance of flavors. Third, I added no spiciness to this chili. You, of course, can add chili powder and hot peppers until your eyeballs sweat, but I liked mine just the way it was! (adapted from this recipe)

I know spring is here and the cold is behind us {fingers crossed}, but this vegetarian chili is so good. I'm actually quite sad I didn't make a larger batch and freeze some for later. However, this isn't difficult or time consuming, so I'll just have to make another batch again soon.


Vegetarian Chili

Yield: 4 servings | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic
  • 1 cup diced zucchini
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 8 oz. portobello mushrooms cubed
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 2/3 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese - optional

Directions:
  1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a small amount of oil (enough to coat the pan). Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add the zucchini, corn and mushrooms. Cook and stir vegetables until soft and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add cumin, salt and pepper, and stir to evenly coat vegetables. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and vegetable stock. Stir well and allow mixture to come to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. In a bowl, add 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and top with 2 cups of chili. Sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro and 1 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese. 


Nutritional information per serving (2 cups):
Calories: 460
Total fat: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 87 grams
Fiber: 14 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Weight Watchers points: 12

Enjoy and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment